Monday, February 16, 2009

Right America: Feeling Wronged

Nancy Pelosi's daughter, Alexandra, is a documentary filmmaker who has made a movie covering the McCain/Palin ticket called: Right America: Feeling Wronged, which debuts tonight on HBO. I saw an interview she did with Rachel(that I've posted below) that I found interesting, mainly because I was expecting it to be a partisan hit-job, but her motives seem to be more admirable than that.

She did an interview with Salon.com and she also had some interesting things to say. A few excerpts:

Well, more than 58 million people voted for John McCain, and I know that everyone on the coasts is on an Obama honeymoon right now, and they seem to forget that more than 58 million people did not want Barack Obama to be their president. And when I was traveling over the summer and I would go to rallies and 20,000 people would be there...


They had huge crowds, and I felt they were really underrepresented in the media. I didn’t feel like I saw these people on TV. And when I went out to talk to people, the first thing they would say to me was, "I can't believe you're talking to me." They were so flattered that I wanted to hear what they had to say because they'd say, "The media doesn't listen to us. You turn on the TV and all you see is Obama nation and you don't see us." They had some points. My liberal friends, I have to remind them that they have some really good points. No. 1, the media did not fairly represent them in this election. Obama was on the cover of every magazine all summer long. I understand Obama sold magazines. It's a business. But when you've got a presidential election and you have half of the country feeling really underrepresented, I think that's a real problem. And I think that's a bigger problem than Obama versus McCain.

There was this guy in Fort Wayne, Ind., Fred Boise, who says, "The media paints us to be fanatics. They treat us like hicks and we just go to Wal-Mart and we're rednecks. And they don't come to get to know us, and they go on stereotypes." I think all of that is true.


I am very interested in why people who disagree with me, disagree with me. I appreciate her taking the time to educate us Obama-maniacs as to how the other half of America looks at things.

If you voted for Obama, hopefully you'll learn something. If you didn't vote for him, hopefully you'll at least feel like someone was listening to you.

No comments: